Thursday, March 21, 2013

I have been anxiously working on my Tour deMadison t-shirt quilt.  First cut out the design you want to use off the shirt.  Iron on interfacing to the back of the design. My friend made me a chart on paper of what size the squares should be and how wide the striping would be between each square. After you have cut all squares, decide what size square you will use and cut all squares to the same size.  I used 12 l/2 x 14 l/2 with a 2 l/4" stripe to divide each square.  I used l/4" on all seams.  After sewn together, the square were 12"x14" and the strip was 2".



You then need to cut your strips, I cut them 2 l/2" because you will use l/4" on each side to sew to the square.  I also cut 2 l/2" strips for the sides and top and bottom.



You will then start to sew your strips and square together.  I did 5 squares across.  Always be sure the square line up together.  Use the "nesting" method and lots of pins if necessary to help hold fabric in place.






I then sewed each strip of 5 together with a strip of fabric in the middle.  I had 4 rows down.



I was now ready to add my side and top and bottom strips.


All sewing has been done.  I will be sending this quilt to a lady who has a long-arm machine and she will quilt together the top, batting and back.  I hope to have the quilting design done in shapes of bicycles.  Once it is all finished, I will post pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment